Friday, September 4, 2009

Statement on U of I Trustee appointments

LISLE, Ill – State Senator Kirk Dillard, candidate for governor, today issued the following statement on the University of Illinois Trustee Appointments by Governor Quinn:

Since first calling on Governor Quinn to immediately discharge the University of Illinois Board of Trustees when I announced my candidacy for Governor on July 8th, Illinois taxpayers have waited nearly two months as the governor has waffled on his decisions concerning the matter.

While I’m pleased that the Governor has finally acted by making these appointments, as Governor I would not need a Commission and over $500,000 of state spending to prod me to make this decision. I knew instinctively and as a leader what needed to be done to return integrity to the taxpayers, faculty and students of one of the top ten academic institutions in the country: that is a new world-class Board of Trustees.

As a member of the Illinois State Senate, I look forward to the confirmation process that will allow us to completely and comprehensively review the candidates that the Governor has nominated.

As Governor, I will conduct a nation-wide search of University of Illinois alumni with assistance of alumni, faculty, business and civic leaders to chose a board that is worthy of the University of Illinois’ stature.




###